The health and safety of our students, employees and extended Peacock family is our top priority. With that in mind, the UIU Homecoming Committee is reimagining 2020 Homecoming festivities in a way that preserves tradition and fosters UIU pride all while keeping our community safe.
Homecoming is a time to recognize our alumni, celebrate Upper Iowa University’s rich history and carry on Peacock traditions. While some activities during Homecoming must be canceled, we are excited to offer opportunities for alumni all over the world to safely enjoy several of our new, interactive UIU Homecoming offerings.
Details continue to be finalized, but here’s a sneak peek of a few items in store:
- Show your spirit! Traditions including sidewalk chalking, window painting, front porch decorating and spirit attire day are all things you and your family can do in your own community
- Alumni Award Honorees recognized and acceptance videos shared online
- 50-year Highlights Video honoring the class of 1970 – plus a virtual gathering for classmates
- Coronation gone live! Tune in see who will be crowned this year’s Homecoming King & Queen
- Replanting of the Peacock Unity Tree – originally dedicated in 1992, the tree is a symbol of peace and justice among our entire Upper Iowa University family. The ceremony will be made available online for all to participate.
Plans are also in the works to transition the 8th Annual President’s Fundraising Ball to an online fundraising event. Over the years, this Homecoming favorite has raised over $660,000 for UIU students and capital projects. As UIU continues to endure these incredibly challenging times, the need for your support has never been more important.
We ask every alumni and friend of UIU who is able to support our Homecoming fundraising event and help us hit our goal of $200,000. This would be the largest amount ever raised at the event. Donations of any size will be gratefully accepted. Fellow alumni, friends and corporate sponsors have already begun supporting this great cause. Stay tuned for more details.
We are hopeful that Homecoming week will be a time to celebrate together, cherish our good fortunes, and strengthen the University. UIU has withstood challenges throughout its 163-year history. We are confident that today’s community of UIU alumni and friends will rise to today’s challenges. No global pandemic, natural disaster or any other challenge we face can stop us – we are, as always, “Peacock Strong!”
More details will be available soon. We look forward to your engagement, participation and support!
Your friends in the UIU Alumni Office
firstname.lastname@example.org | 563-425-5388