The 2017-18 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery artist schedule features a wide range of art media, including painting, illustrating, printmaking, murals, ceramics and sculptural installation. The printmaking and sculptural works of Eric Fuertes will be the first of nine scheduled exhibits showcased in 2017-18. The Fuertes exhibit will open Thursday, August 31, and conclude with a closing community printing event on Thursday, October 5.
“Community and student engagement in the arts was my main focus when pulling together this year’s Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery schedule,” said Laura Colby, UIU assistant professor of art. “I sought Midwestern artists, who not only provide compelling exhibits but who could also provide community members the opportunity to participate in their respective medium. We are excited to have such a wide range of media again this year and look forward to seeing new faces get involved in the gallery experience.”
The complete 2017-18 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery artist schedule is as follows:
- August 31 – October 5: Eric Fuentes, closing event. Thursday, October 5
- October 9 – November 3: Young Alumni Show, Homecoming dessert and wine reception, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, October 26. The gallery will have extended hours from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, October 28, and from 8 a.m. – noon Sunday, October 29
- November 9 – December 8: Cheri Charlton, mural unveiling and artist talk, 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, November 9
- January 11 – February 19: Ellen Kleckner, artist talk and reception, 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, January 11
- February 12 – February 23: UIU Senior Thesis Show, reception TBA
- February 26 – March 30: Stephanie Chambers, artist talk and reception 3:30-5 p.m. Monday, February 26
- April TBD: Northeast Iowa High School Art Show
- April 9 – April 20: UIU Foundations Show, reception, 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, April 19
- April 23 – May 5: UIU Senior Thesis Show, reception TBA
Additional information about the artists and their respective exhibits will be announced at a later date.
Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery is located in Edgar Fine Arts Hall at Upper Iowa University’s Fayette Campus. The gallery is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.