Upper Iowa University’s Team Peacock will celebrate its 15th year participating in RAGBRAI (The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) this summer and the team is seeking camping accommodations.
The 2019 RAGBRAI host communities include Council Bluffs, Atlantic, Winterset, Indianola, Centerville, Fairfield, Burlington and Keokuk. Approximately 30 Team peacock members will be looking for a spot to call home for just one day. The campsite needs include:
- A property within close proximity of the official RAGBRAI route would be most desired
- A yard to accommodate approximately 25 tents
- Shade trees where riders can cool off
- Access to water spicket(s) for portable showers
- A designated area for a porta-potty to be delivered
- Access to electricity for a cell phone charging station (this works best inside a garage)
- Access to an emergency storm shelter in case of severe weather (typically a basement)
- Room for the Team Peacock bus and support vehicles to park
- Access to one indoor bathroom and shower is a huge bonus
- Most importantly, a safe and friendly environment where our team can rest and relax
RAGBRAI is not just a vacation for the UIU riders. Comprised last year of alumni, faculty, staff, students, and even UIU President Bill Duffy, Team Peacock raised over $38,000 to support Upper Iowa projects, programs and scholarships.
Persons interested in hosting Team Peacock, or know of someone who would be a perfect host, are asked to contact Team Peacock committee member Brenda Luzum at firstname.lastname@example.org or 563-425-5238. For more information about Team Peacock, visit uiu.edu/teampeacock.