STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) occupations are among the fasting growing career fields. Northeast Iowa youth have the opportunity to further discover how fun it can be to study, explore and experiment within these subjects during the annual Summer STEM Camp at Upper Iowa University’s Fayette Campus Monday-Thursday, June 25-28.
While working alongside university professors and undergraduate students, camp participants are provided hands-on experiences. In addition to the traditional STEM programs, the arts are represented at this year’s camp with instruction in drypoint printmaking. The full list of project areas are as follows:
- Drypoint Printmaking – Art programming is new to the annual UIU STEM Camp. Learn the art of drypoint printmaking. Create original works of art by pulling inspiration from the shapes and textures found in nature.
- Explore Your Senses – Have you ever considered how you actually see, taste or feel? This lab will explore your sense of taste, hearing, touch and equilibrium.
- Fish Age – Did you know that fish have ears? And if so, did you know that you could determine how old a fish is by looking at bones in their ears? Learn how to determine the age of a fish.
- Pond Water is Full of Life – Many organisms are too small to see. Explore these life forms on a microscopic level.
- Cyber Camp – Learn how computer programming and robots come together to develop fun and useful solutions to problems.
- Food Biochemistry – How much protein? What types of sugar? Use chemistry techniques to investigate the biological molecules that make up food.
The 2018 UIU Summer STEM Camp is open to all students currently in grades 5-8. The event will be held from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at UIU’s Fayette Campus June 25-28. Due to limited space, individuals are encouraged to register promptly. Applications are due by Friday, June 1. For additional information about the project areas, cost and registration, contact UIU Associate Professor of Biology Dr. William Jones at 563-425-5903 or email@example.com.
Upper Iowa University is a STEM Jobs Approved College. The special recognition is for colleges and universities that provide broad and innovative STEM degree options for undergraduate students, actively recruit underrepresented and under-prepared students into STEM degrees, as well as offer targeted student support systems and career services to help students succeed.