As Halloween approaches, Upper Iowa University is enlisting the help of spine-chilling ghosts, hair-raising ghouls, and fearless UIU support during the Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming celebration Thursday-Saturday, October 26-28.
The Upper Iowa University Homecoming schedule includes the following events and activities. Additional information about UIU’s Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming events can be found at uiu.edu/homecoming.
Thursday, October 26
- 6 p.m., Welcome Home Dinner: Located at Maue Atrium in the Andres Center for Business and Education, the all-class reunion dinner is hosted by the Alumni Association. Guests may enjoy a buffet style meal and dinner music at beautiful Fayette Campus. RSVP is required.
- 7:30 p.m., Pep Rally, Bonfire and Coronation: The public is invited to show its UIU spirit at the Peacock Pavilion Tailgate Area, located east of Victory Gate (Union Street across from Dorman Gym).
- 7:30 p.m., Art Exhibition and Dessert Reception: View amazing artwork, while enjoying complimentary desserts at Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery. The gallery will also be open Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. – noon.
Friday, October 27
- 9 a.m., Pastries for Peacocks: Stop by the Alumni Office for morning treats and coffee at Parker-Fox Hall. Flip through old yearbooks and sign the alumni guest book. Guided Campus tours will be available.
- 10 a.m. – noon, Iowa’s Fossil History Exhibit: Following a brief presentation at 10:30 a.m. at Henderson-Wilder Library, guests are invited to bring rocks or fossils from their own collections to be identified.
- 1 – 2:30 p.m., Research, Internship and Creative Endeavors: Join the School of Science and Mathematics in viewing posters detailing the activities and works of the school’s undergraduates at Baker-Hebron Hall and Garbee Hall (lower level).
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., MVSC Open House and Dedication Ceremony: An open house will be held for the University’s new Military and Veterans Service Center (MVSC) from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. A dedication ceremony featuring UIU President William R. Duffy, UIU Director of Military and Veterans Services Chad Cook and a Student Veterans Club officer will be held at 2 p.m. Those wishing to attend these events are asked to enter Garbee Hall’s north entrance nearest to the Andres Center.
- 3 p.m., UIU Women’s Soccer: Cheer on the women’s soccer team as they play Minnesota State University, Mankato at Pattison Field.
- 5:30 p.m., President’s Masquerade Ball: Fun, friendship and fundraising will be celebrated during the 5th Annual President’s Ball. Guests may enjoy a cocktail reception at 5:30 p.m., with a dinner program and dancing to follow. Masks will be provided for this elegant affair. Ticket costs and additional details are available at uiu.edu/alumni/presidents-ball.html.
Saturday, October 28
- 10 a.m., Homecoming Parade: The Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming Parade takes to Main Street Fayette. Anyone wishing to submit a parade entry, may contact Naomi Aziz, UIU director of annual giving, at 563-425-5966 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 a.m., Alumni Awards & Honor Class Luncheon: This event honors the classes of ’47, ’57, ’67, ’77, ’92 and ’07 as well as recognize our distinguished 2017 Alumni Award recipients and Heritage Society Members in the Student Center ballrooms. A special gift will be presented to members of the 50-year class.
- 2 p.m., Homecoming Football Game: Peacock fans are invited to help fill Harms-Eischeid Stadium as the football team takes to the field against Southwest Minnesota State University. Kickoff is officially set for 2:07 p.m.
- 6 p.m., Post-Game Bash: Celebrate Peacock pride in downtown Fayette with live music, a street dance and Halloween costume. Food vendors will be on site.
- Take a walk down memory lane and view memorabilia from previous UIU homecomings on the second floor of the Student Center.
- UIU alumni are invited to share their UIU memories with the UIU Archives. The Archives recording booth is located in the lower level of Henderson-Wilder Library. For additional information, contact UIU Archivist, Janette Garcia at 563-425-5722 or visit uiu.edu/oralhistory.
- A minerals, rocks and fossils display featuring specimens donated to the UIU collection by Burton and Dorothea ’71 Odekirk and Leora Sullivan ’61 will be open daily from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. in the Garbee Hall Sustainability Solarium.
UIU students will show their Peacock Pride throughout Homecoming Week with the following events and activities. For additional details, visit Facebook.com/UIUStudentActivities.
- Sunday, October 22: Student Fashion Show, hosted by Beta Theta Omega
- Monday, October 23: Comedy Night, featuring Pete Lee
- Tuesday, October 24: Window Painting, King and Queen Voting
- Wednesday, October 25: Sidewalk Chalk Challenge
- Sunday, October 29: Greek Picnic Cookout