Upper Iowa University’s Center for International Education (CIE) is gearing up for a celebration of culture as part of International Education Week Monday, November 14 – Friday, November 18. International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange programs worldwide. A joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, the annual event promotes programs that attract future leaders from the United States and abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences.
“We appreciate that our international students once again have this opportunity to share their heritage with all of us during the weeklong celebration on Fayette Campus,” said Ismael Betancourt, UIU vice president of student life and international education. “Through the various scheduled events, these students especially enjoy showcasing their home countries in a number of unique ways with the rest of the student body. I encourage everyone to participate.”
The UIU-International Education Week lineup includes the following activities:
- Daily – A different international student will teach simple phrases from their native language, as well as briefly discuss their culture from noon – 1 p.m. each day in the Student Center Hub.
- Monday, November 14 – CIE welcome reception from 4 – 5 p.m. in Student Center second floor lobby; appetizers and refreshments will be served. UIU World Cup Soccer Tournament begins at 6 p.m. in Rec Center.
- Tuesday, November 15 – Fullbright Grant (studying, researching or teaching abroad) discussion for students from 11 – 11:30 a.m. and for faculty from 11:30 a.m. – noon in Andres Center for Business and Education Room 101. Education Abroad 101 begins at 3 p.m. in Leadership Conference Room. International Trivia begins at 6 p.m. in Student Center Ballrooms.
- Wednesday, November 16 – International panel discusses their cultural experiences beginning at 6 p.m. in Student Center Ballroom A.
- Thursday, November 17 (International Dress Day) – International Fair from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in Student Center Ballroom. International documentary and discussion beginning at 7 p.m. in Student Center Ballroom A.
- Friday, November 18 – International sport tutorial in cricket and lacrosse from 6 – 8 p.m. in Rec Center.
The UIU Center for International Education is responsible for all initiatives related to internationalizing the Fayette Campus. The CIE assists with international admissions, international student and scholar services, education abroad, intensive English programming, and the UIU-Malaysia and UIU-Hong Kong centers.